Thursday, January 6, 2011

Our family's pursuit of another adoption

In my brief bio sketch on this blog, I note that three of my children are adopted from overseas. My two sons are Ethiopians (now age 15) and my 11-year-old daughter is from Guatemala. I also have an adult daughter who is married and has two young children.

For several years, my wife and I have wanted to adopt another girl who is Sasha's age, but our earlier efforts to adopt through the U.S. foster care system were unsuccessful. (I could say a lot about our experience with that system, but let me just say that it gave us an education in the U.S. childcare bureaucracy, and it both was eye-opening and very unpleasant.)

Last year, we concluded that perhaps God wanted our family to remain as it was, but neither my wife nor I had lost the desire to add one more child. We recently met an 11-year-old orphan from Latvia, Dace (pronounced "Dot-say") who is up for adoption, and after much prayer and deliberation, we have decided to pursue her adoption.

Neither of us have come to this decision lightly, and we have done so only after a lot of prayer and deliberation. This adoption will require that we raise a lot of money, and that we really cut back on discretionary spending. I'll have to work harder than ever, but I believe with all my heart that it is the right thing to do.

You will see that I have placed the link to our website on this blog and in this post. If you feel led to visit our adoption blog, please do. As you can see, we also have a place for people to donate to this project, should they feel led to do so.

I will post updates from time to time. In the meantime, I ask that you pray for our efforts, as this is something we never can accomplish on our own. Thank you.

9 comments:

Daniel Hewitt said...

Well, I know a little about this topic. It took my wife and I quite some time to conceive, and for a while we thought that God intended us to adopt instead of having our own children. The costs are indeed staggering, and your family will have my prayers!

What a beautiful little girl Dace is, and I am sure that she will bless your lives as much as you will bless hers.

Anonymous said...

I really don't think you should be broadcasting your personal business online--especially about the little girl. What happens when she becomes an adult and 'appreciate' her personal business being on the internet? ever hear of privacy?

and are you really saying that with all the poor, parentless children in the united states foster care system, there was not one that you could adopt, when I personally know foster children that have been adopted?

len said...

I really don't think you should be broadcasting your personal business online--especially about the little girl. What happens when she becomes an adult and DOESN'T 'appreciate' her personal business being on the internet? ever hear of privacy?

and are you really saying that with all the poor, parentless children in the united states foster care system, there was not one that you could adopt? I personally know foster children that have been adopted. it's not that complex, especially when you have a 2 parent home and a stable income.

William L. Anderson said...

We spent more than a year trying to adopt from the U.S. foster care system, and ran into one roadblock after another. It is more complex than you might think, but somehow I doubt you ever have tried anything like this.

I have left your hateful comments up because I rarely take comments off the board. However, I would appreciate your not ever posting here again, given just how nasty you have been.

When you have walked in our shoes, then comment. If not, stay away.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed by your intense love for everything, from pursuit of justice against cruel prosecutors, to athletics, to children.

For this reason, I can only pray that you do indeed succeed in your efforts, because that lucky child would come under the care of such a fascinating parent. I fully appreciate your efforts.

len said...

i wasn't being 'hateful'--just acknowledging that american foster children are adopted every day so I find it sad when people go oversees to adopt. all children deserve a loving home, so good luck.
i apologize if i offended you Prof. Anderson.

len said...

i meant-- overseas, but u get the point.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Anderson,

I respect what you're doing with this blog. The content is thought provoking and reasonable. I also find your effort to better your life and others people's lives through adoption admirable.

That being said, your post and your reaction to len's comment (which I did not find hateful, though a bit unnecessary) hurts the credibility of your blog. While it is certainly your blog, and you can do whatever you want with it, I think you would benefit by reserving that sort of information for other forums.

I recognize this unsolicited advice is also a bit unnecessary, and probably should be reserved for other forums as well, I just felt compelled to offer my suggestion as a fellow Austrian.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your decision to adopt! All kids need great home, even those from foreign countries. Please spread the word about your adoption & raise the money needed! Have a bake sale or car wash! Those always bring in some needed $$